Last visit was: Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:45 pm It is currently Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:45 pm

All times are UTC

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 
Previous topic | Next topic
 Post subject: Networking Laptops
Posted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 4:55 pm 

Does anyone know the best way to network two laptops? I have a primary laptop that has the printers and external hard drives connected via a USB hub. I bought an additional laptop I would like to set up so my wife can access the printers and hard drives also. Both laptops are wireless and I have a wireless router.

Thank you for any suggestions, comments or thoughts.

Post subject: Re: Networking Laptops
Posted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 6:34 pm 
VistaHelp.ca Moderator

Plip, presumably both machines are Vista and presumably you‘ve set up the wireless connection to the router?

Here is the complete sharing procedure:
Firstly, put all the computers in the same workgroup (optional) then choose the folders on each machine that are to be shared. Repeat this on all PCs, use the same workgroup name but, of course, a different computer name for each of your computers. This procedure is successful because no passwords are used andEveryoneis allowed access, which will make your computer a little less secure.

1. Add a Vista computer to a workgroup by right-clicking Computer > Properties > Change Settings then change Computer Name and Workgroup Name. Make the computer name meaningful to aid recognition. The computer should restart.

2. Folder sharing.
First of all, go to Control Panel > Classic View > Network and Sharing Center and make sure you have Network Discovery, File Sharing and Public Folder Sharing all set to ‘On’ and, if you‘re not using passwords set Password Protected Sharing to ‘Off’, unless you want to set up identical usernames and passwords on all computers in your network. If you have it on, you will be asked for a username and password when you try to access a Vista computer from an XP computer.

To share a Vista folder, click it > Share on the Toolbar > Advanced Sharing, click ‘Share this folder’ > Apply > OK, etc.

If you don’t have Password Protected Sharing turned on, you have to change the security permissions on your folder to allow Everyone access. Right-click the folder > Properties > Security Tab > Edit > Add and type ‘Everyone’ (not the quotes) into the box and OK. Tick the boxes next to the permissions you want to allow, then Apply > OK, etc. You may see some screens coming up with message 'Error Applying ……..'. This is not unusual and can be ignored by clicking Continue.

Two little people should appear on the icons of those that are shared. An alternative way of sharing is to drag the folders you want to share to the Public folder.

3. Windows firewall is normally set to allow file and printer sharing but if you have a third-party firewall make sure file and printer sharing is enabled so that each machine can talk to the other(s). Don’t disable the Windows firewall if it’s the only one you’re running.

To see or copy files, click the Windows Orb (Start) > Network and the computers/folders/files should appear. Using Windows Explorer, drag them from one PC to the other.

4. Share printer.
On the machine that the printer is connected to (installed on), go to Control Panel > Classic View > Printers, right-click the printer, click Sharing, check ‘Share this printer’. On the other machine go to Control Panel > Classic View > Printers > Add Printer > and follow the wizard. Bear in mind that the printer and the PC that it’s connected to must be switched on, unless you have a ‘proper’ wireless printer/adapter.

Posted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 6:37 pm 

THANK YOU !!!! As soon as I finalize getting the laptop fully operational, etc., I will set up the networking.

Again, thanks a bunch !!!!

Posted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 12:19 am 

Hey Burr,

I went through all you instructions setting up as follows:

Network Discovery................ON
File Sharing........................ON
Public Folder Sharing..............ON
Printer Sharing.....................ON
Media Sharing......................ON

What I can't seem to access is the "C" drive from my primary laptop or any of the external hard drives connected to it. Is there a setting that I am missing or is not possible to do this?

I am able to access, and print with, the printers with no problems.

Thanks.

Parker

Posted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 7:29 am 
VistaHelp.ca Moderator

Ah, sharing the whole drive is via a different route. It’s not recommended but as you insist, try this:

Right-click Computer > Manage > Storage > Disk Management then right-click the drive graphic > Properties > Security Tab > Edit > Add then type ‘Everyone’ (not the quotes) > OK and below it select your preferences, e.g. Read or Full Control. Now Apply, OK, etc. to finish.

Posted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 1:26 pm 

Thank you. Why is it not recommended

Posted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 2:03 pm 
VistaHelp.ca Moderator

plip wrote:
Thank you. Why is it not recommended

Because it can potentially give other network users access to system files. I share drives but I set the ‘read only’ attribute, so if someone accessed my network, they could copy what they like but not update any original files.

Posted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 2:06 pm 

Thank you. I thought it might be something like that. I hope things are well across the pond, for you and yours, as we head into the holiday season. May you and yours enjoy a happy and safe holiday season.

Plip

Posted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 2:26 pm 
VistaHelp.ca Moderator

Thank you, what a nice man you are. I too, hope you enjoy a happy Christmas and wish you a healthy and wealthy 2009.

The weather is pretty miserable here at the moment, overcast and about 6 Celsius at the moment (2:20 pm).

I hope your drive/folder/file sharing works out as you intended.

Posted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 2:31 pm 

Thank you we plan on it

The weather over there sounds pretty "standard" for this time of year

I do have to say that a few years ago we were in London the end of January and the first part of February and we never had to open our umbrella's once. Really enjoyed using the Underground to get around to all the places we wanted to see including Paddington Station where we caught a train to Windsor. We had an extremely enjoyable time there and, of course, enjoyed some fish and chips.

Stay healthy and enjoy life.

Plip

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ]